system-* tools' ui independence

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Wed Feb 27 14:37:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 07:59:21PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> People who choose to do the development did it in whatever toolkit and
> language they preferred. Nothing is stopping you from duplicating that work
> in whatever toolkit you prefer or even porting Yast to Fedora but writing
> in one toolkit is not discriminating any desktop environment. It might not
> be ideal but works fine.
It's probably still worth checking out.

Worst case after lots of work the UI library forces some crappy subset of
Qt/GTK/text on all the config tools (Inherently such a library will always
limit what you can do with the UI) + extra bloat (since you'll still need
GTK or Qt)

Best case current functionality is kept (for little conversion work), people
get their native UI look and we get a kick-ass text UI as a bonus.

Reality? Something in the middle, I'm sure ;)

--
Pekka Pietikainen