xulrunner refusing to update from yum.

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed Feb 27 19:28:01 UTC 2008

> Alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:

>> > Delete that directory and try again.
>>
>> What about all the dictionary;####### directories?
>
> They get overridden by a symlink:
> $ ls -l /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9pre/dictionaries
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2008-02-27 12:22
> /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9pre/dictionaries -> /usr/share/myspell
>
> That is why the unpacking when replacing with the new package won't work:
> cpio(1) can't replace a directory with a symlink.
>
> In any case, if you axe that and then install the newer version, it should
> replace them with something sensible if they are still required. Just make
> sure nothing is actively using whatever you delete.
>
> Sure, a more "decent" way is to erase the offending package, and then
> installing it again. But if something depends on it, sometimes not even
> "rpm -e --nodeps" does the trick.

Well, I am going to have to beat on it later.  The above did not fix it.
The dependencies on xulrunner are pretty heavy.Once I get the other
half-gig of todays updates, I will see about fixing it.

> "rawhide" == "living dangerously" ;-)

Tell me about it.  I have only been using Redhat since 3.0.  (And
Yggdrasil and Slackware before that.)  I know how risky Rawhide is.  There
have been worse releases.  (*cough* Redhat 8.0 *cough*)

> ("rpm -V" afterwards isn't such a bad idea...)

Yep.