sense of packaging firefox' addons?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 21:22:32 UTC 2008

Lubomir Kundrak wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 21:35 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> I saw Ubuntu is puting Firefox' addons to repo.
>>
>> I wonder why, while Firefox has now integrated search for addons and
>> better addons site is planned...
>>
>> I don't think we should package extensions, but what do you think about
>> that situation in U?
>
> Packaging addons makes perfect sense. As much as does packaging CPAN
> modules. You get benefits of a good packaging and update system with
> that. Obvious examples are ability to put the addon into repository and
> add it to your kickstart, or stay up-to date with security fixes.

I think it only makes sense for those addons which are needed in a more secure
environment (like for an RHEL workstation where you do not want the latest addon
from the upstream to get loaded up at browser start, or you need to carefully
review its compatibility before deployment), or for an addon that is closely
related to the Fedora/RHEL desktop environment (like the Beagle integration
addon).  It makes sense to package the beagle addon, it would not make much
sense to me as a user for the Foxmarks bookmark sync addon to be packaged for
instance.  It would make sense to package an addon that related to an internal
network tool or web application.

The builtin firefox addon update system works far faster for most desktop users
than getting a new rpm packaged, built, and shipped... the popular addons become
available for users almost as soon as the upstream posts them to the mozilla
addon site.  You just restart the browser and you've got a notice of update.