system-* tools' ui independence

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Feb 28 01:14:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 17:57 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Christopher Aillon <caillon at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> >  > I said few weeks or months ago, that our system-* tools cannot
> >  > descriminate KDE by using GTK.
> >
> >  Maybe we should make things just work out of the box where we can, so we
> >  can get rid of the need to have system-config-* cruft and discriminate
> >  against both.
>

> So you're going to write mind reading software to know what resolution
> I want my display set to? And what directories I want to share via
> nfs?

We are currently investing effort into bringing the screen resolution
capplet into the modern xrandr world. This will soon make
system-config-display obsolete.

NetworkManager is gaining capabilities for dealing with system-wide
connections right now.

The clock applet lets you change time zones now.

These are 3 examples of "getting rid of the need to have
system-config-*". Mind reading not required.

Matthias