sense of packaging firefox' addons?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 10:24:49 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> The Firefox addon update system is far from awesome when you're the one
> who has to install and update Firefox extensions manually on a pool of
> systems because users don't bother (additionally that's one reason
> Firefox fares so bad in the enterprise — geek-oriented installation
> system without any provision for centralised management).

And this argument really does not hold water.  Unless I'm missing something, the
extension deployment system in IE7 is nearly identical to Firefox, so I think
the realistic reason firefox does not fair well in the enterprise is because it
lacks support for activex sites (among other things microsoftish), and many
businesses contract out internal web application development to.. cheap activex
sites.