Final Warning: Orphanarium to be Nuked

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Feb 29 20:08:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:49:03PM -0500, Casey Dahlin wrote:

> "debootstrap is used to create a Debian base system from scratch, without
> requiring the availability of dpkg or apt.  It does this by downloading
> .deb files from a mirror site, and carefully unpacking them into a
> directory which can eventually be chrooted into."
>

> Why do we have this in the first place? I'm not against Debian or the
> downloading thereof, but... I really cannot think of any real Fedora use
> case for this. Maybe I'm unimaginative today?

Indeed you are. For example it can be used
* to check how debian packages are done. I personally used it to check
  how t1lib is packaged on debian.
* imagine you have to prepare a course in computer science and the
  computers are under debian and you want to test.
* you want to do some debian packaging in fedora. You use pbuilder to
  build your packages, debootstrap is a requires, and you use
  debootstrap to test them.

--
Pat