f8 gripe #3: infamous Load_Cycle_Count started hitting my laptop , FAQ?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Wed Jan 2 05:45:51 UTC 2008

Till Maas wrote:
> On Mi Januar 2 2008, Douglas McClendon wrote:
>
>> But the basic issue may still be relevant, which is that I don't really
>> know why I need to run hdparm manually.  And back when I read all the
>> ubuntu stuff relating to the issue, I ignored it after happily noticing
>> my F7 wasn't affected (smartctl -i -a /dev/sda | grep -i cycle).
>>
>> Now that I hit it with F8, I notice it is so annoying that a single
>> 'hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda' in rc.local isn't sufficient, because when I
>> resume from hibernate/suspend, it starts incrementing relatively rapidly
>> again.
>
> Do you know how to query the value that needs to be passed to hdparm -B to
> keep the current situation?

Ok, hdparm -I does get it, though perhaps in drive-specific way.

That would make it possible to store the value
> when suspending/hiberanting and restore it when resuming/thawing.
> But better would be imho, when the drive would not forget the setting in the
> first place, maybe this happens because of a change in the kernel.

Or maybe during the 2 days when I let vista live on the laptop between
f7 and f8, it did something nasty, beyond downloading and installing
200+ updates despite explicit requests not to...

Thanks, I think I'm now armed with the tools I need to solve this.  I'm
just a bit curious that I haven't seen anyone else run into this, since
it was such a brouhaha for a while there with ubuntu.

-dmc