f8 gripe#2: why did f8's pm-hibernate regress?

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Fri Jan 4 21:32:27 UTC 2008

tor, 03 01 2008 kl. 18:45 +0100, skrev nodata:
> Am Donnerstag, den 03.01.2008, 02:03 -0600 schrieb Douglas McClendon:
> > Douglas McClendon wrote:
> >
> > [ pro-tux-on-ice rant snipped ]
> >
> > > might be time for me to go back to tux-on-ice.  I truly am disgusted by
> > > having to suffer through 5-15 seconds of thrashing while changing
> > > desktops after resume.  I would much rather the resume take 20 seconds
> > > longer, and present me with a good user experience.  (yes, I am one of
> > > those people that thinks that offering early login while the system
> > > finishes booting is a really stupid thing).
> >
> > To clarify this harsh, theoretically offensive statement-  Early login
> > done _right_ would be fine.  Doing it the incomplete way, such as the
> > vista experience,
>
> I don't know why people keep saying this. Vista boots fast and is
> responsive.

Wow.. can I have a puff at that crack pipe my good man? :)

I install Vista on this laptop a few days ago, compared to Fedora 8 both
boot time and responsiveness is much worse. Using Vista was like being
waist deep in molasses - on a Core 2 Duo machine with a gig of ram.

Now I think we can all do better, but to call Vista fast and responsive
is in my experience just not true.

Wow.. can I have a puff at that crack pipe my good man?

- David