Another selinux rant

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 22:52:57 UTC 2008

Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> The problem is: setroubleshoot teaches average users that avc denials
> come about due to bugs in selinux policy. If there was some massive
> security problem right now on my machine causing avc denials I'd
> probably react by filing a stack of bug reports. This is the
> fundamental problem as it stands with SElinux. If it was working, we
> would be in a situation where the first responce to an avc denial is
> "OMG there's a security issue with something running on my machine, I
> must fix that".

True enough, but that (trusting denials are legitimate breaches) is a goal that
is not necessarily here yet... while there are still bugs being filed in policy
you (or 'average users' such as me and most rawhide testers) have very little
chance of knowing which is which.

That doesn't mean it is not working... a security problem thats generating
denials is only a problem per se when you go and disable selinux thinking 'its
just a bug I can ignore these and let it happen'.

As long as a bug is filed, and your machine is still enforcing, and someone
hasn't found a way around the denials, either the policy will change or Dan is
going to post back to that bug report that what is happening is definitely not
going to be allowed by policy.  Thats when you go fishing for your security issue.

Most people probably just go and disable it, assuming denials were from
something they were trying to do and a bug prevented them from doing it.  I
think its very important that rawhide testers be using selinux though because
there is no way to prevent policy bugs from getting to release (and the broad
userbase from then disabling selinux...) otherwise.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>