Why does gdb now give lots of warnings?

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Sun Jan 6 11:58:08 UTC 2008

Dnia 2008-01-04, o godz. 21:12:58 David Nielsen <david at lovesunix.net>
napisał(a):

> Sounds like a job for PackageKit, look up the path to figure out which
> packages we are missing and offer the user to install the missing debug
> symbols.
I DREAM about gdb stopping at a missing debuginfo, downloading repository
meta-data, proposing downloading of 70 packages and asking me if I want to
continue with the downloading and installing. Especially scripted gdb
incantations will be happy (if you think you don't use any, remember
bug-buddy).

Please leave gdb to professionals and don't break it with your
(smarter than the user) hacks.

BTW: "yum install /usr/lib/debug..." won't work on the default installation.
You need "yum
--enablerepo={fedora|development|updates|updates-testing}-debuginfo
install...". That's why debuginfo-install should be taught to understand file
paths as its argument (if it doesn't already).

Also, if you really want to be helpful, tell user to "add-shared-symbol-files"
after he installs debuginfo packages in another shell. If that works, that is,
I've never tested.

Lam