Init : someone could comment this ?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 00:29:44 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:

>> And in the case of a laptop, it is fairly likely that you'll want to
>> suspend it on one network (wired/wireless or both) and wake it up on
>> something different.
>
> I can understand that as a real complication, but again thats (IMO)
> something different than a web server which can work quite well without
> a network.  The point I was making is that there may be hard and fast
> requirements, and there may be 'would be nice' situations... and the
> init scripts should only be guaranteed to give the requirement in a
> parallelized booting sequence.  Beyond that, the other issues need fixed
> so that for instance the service DOES start listening when the link goes
> active later, rather than blocking or delaying the service from starting
> at boot time.

Init doesn't need to have much of a part in this but there probably are
cases where an ordered sequence of initialization steps need to be
managed even if the lower level things are smarter about events.  At the
moment, I don't think a static IP address or routes through it go away
if a link goes down - in fact, it may not even be necessary for them to
be assigned which is fairly clearly wrong and likely to cause trouble
for newly noticed DHCP assigned interfaces.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com