Init : someone could comment this ?

Casey Dahlin cjdahlin at ncsu.edu
Thu Jan 10 00:48:34 UTC 2008

Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>
>> To put it a different way, the chances of a solution that doesn't at
>> least support SysV scripts in some compatibility way going into RHEL
>> is pretty much zero, at least for the first RHEL release that it would
>> exist in.
>
> Sounds like Upstart is the candidate to me... it is Init-compatible
> but still support its own format too, AFAICS. It will perhaps be
> superseded by InitKit, but whatever.
>
> Linus

I have been in touch with Scott Remnant, and this is fortunately not true.

InitKit is a project to create a standard for event-based activation.
The idea is that even if a bunch of distros NIH and implement
themselves, upstream can count on certain behaviors. No actual software
is planned to emerge from the project.

So, one less concern.

--CJD