Linux is not about choice [was Re: Fedora too cutting edge?]

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Thu Jan 10 10:54:31 UTC 2008

On 2008-01-10, 00:08 GMT, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Can we have OpenSolaris (with zfs) too?  I was going to point
> out that Linux wasn't about choice but about providing a free
> and compatible alternative to Unix.  But this would complete
> the circle...

I would put my hope into http://oss.oracle.com/projects/btrfs/
rather than into port of ZFS on Linux. Yes, it is still alpha,
and yes Oracle could screw it up somehow (I don't exepct it,
though), but creating our own implementation of the stuff seems
like The Linux Way (rather than whinning that Sun didn't give us
the candy).

Matej