Fedora too cutting edge?

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Thu Jan 10 14:03:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, John W. Linville wrote:
>> FWIW, I get criticized for pushing too much brand-new wireless
>> bits into the Fedora kernels.
>
> I, for one, THANK YOU for doing it John, it saved my day and I'm not going to
> forget that. So keep doing what you're doing.

  +10.  I thought about replying last night, but I didn't think it'd
improve the S:N ratio. :-)
  I've always found John's work to be beneficial to the distro, including
when he breaks support for my hardware.  (Hey, he usually tries to fix it
pretty quick, too!)

  Sometimes you've gotta break some yolks to make scrambled eggs.  Does it
suck?  Sure.  Is it for the best in the long run?  I think so.

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 01:57:23AM +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > despite Fedora not including proprietary junk like madwifi (what's the
> > state of ath5k by the way?)
>
> ath5k Works for me(TM), NM 0.7 EAP-TLS, with a few issues after
> suspend/resume.

  Oooh, I'll have to try that again.  Where'd that Atheros MiniPCI card
go...and the PCI one.

      Jima