IIDC camera's and the juju firewirestack

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Jan 10 15:04:14 UTC 2008

Hi All,

In the thread I started about Fedora perhaps being to cutting edge, it was said
that I shouldn't complain as there is only one problem left with the juju stack
which is a bug with via vt6306 cards in OHCI 1.0 cards.

Further analysis of the problem has learned that this is not true, I'm using a
via vt6306 card in OHCI 1.1 mode, which allegedly should work fine.

However most documents talk about using the juju stack with either harddisks or
DV for homevideo camera's. However I'm trying to use an industrial cam which
used the IIDC protocol, and support in the new juju stack (kernel + userspace)
for the IIDC protocol isn't very good.

As the consensus from the other thread seems to be that having 2 parallel
stacks is not a good plan, I have decided to spend some time to get the IIDC
situation with the juju stack improved. However I'm pretty new to all this, so
I will need a couple of pointers to get me up to speed.

I've been testing with the grab_gray_image example from libdc1394-2.0.0. The
problem is that it hangs at the dc1394_capture_dequeue(camera,
DC1394_CAPTURE_POLICY_WAIT, &frame) call.

The camera does seem to be sending data, as its activity led is flickering.

Any clues for further debugging this would be much appreciated, shall I put
this in bugzilla? If so against which component?

Regards,

Hans

p.s.

Yes I know that libdc1394 currently is not in Fedora, but that can be changed,
it has some pieces of patented code, but those can be disabled using a
./configure option -> are #ifdef'd and can thus be removed automatically from
the source code using some special tools.