Linux is not about choice [was Re: Fedora too cutting edge?]

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Thu Jan 10 15:22:41 UTC 2008

On 01/10/2008 03:50 PM, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> It is not right if more softwares come with more contributors. Or if the
> contributors have do it anyway, but cannot easily share what they did.

Sure it does.  We're getting contributors to completely new things, not
the things we're shipping and definitely not the things people are
complaining about being broken.  It's great that people are interested
in Fedora, and great that they want to see their package in Fedora.  But
it doesn't help fix your firewire bugs.

One of the reasons projects like Mozilla, GNOME, KDE, etc. are
successful is they have clearly defined goals, and people are working
with more or less a stable amount of code.  Things get re-written all
the time, but the old thing gets thrown out in favor of the hot new
thing.  Any new contributor is _generally_ going to work on fixing
existent code, not introducing new code, which is completely opposite
from Fedora where the new contributor is adding code, not helping fix
the existing code.

Just some random musings...