Linux is not about choice [was Re: Fedora too cutting edge?]

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Thu Jan 10 21:00:48 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>
>>> Is it a user program that has changed my /dev/hdX into /dev/sdX more
>>> or less arbitrarily
>>
>> Can you say "filesystem labels"? I thought so.
>
> I can say it won't fix an existing configuration.  I can say that
> filesystem label creation wasn't well thought out for people that move
> disks around (after you've installed fedora on all your machines,
> they'll all have the same labels and the system is not happy when you
> rebuild a machine with a different combination of drives).

I can answer this one:  Require people to name their system at install
(like windows, like macosx, e.g. john-pc), perhaps with a default coming
from install date (200807110711), and then make the default fslabels be
prefixed with that name and an underscore.  e.g. john-pc_/usr

problem solved.

-dmc

  I can say