Linux is not about choice [was Re: Fedora too cutting edge?]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 23:04:40 UTC 2008

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 14:17 -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:
>> And the interesting thing is it looks like /dev/sdX will 'stay stable' as the
>> way its done after that change.  Change happens. :)
>
> I wouldn't put my money on it.. maybe it's stable (for some definition
> of the word) now, probably not in a few years.
>
> (Interestingly enough, one price Fedora pays for this so-called
> stability is that booting is somewhat slower, e.g. crap like
> scsi_wait_scan.ko)

The sdX names never were related to hardware in the same sense as the
hdX ones were so 'stay stable' is an odd term.  If you know the
controller and drive select you knew the hdX name.  The sdX names have
always been whimsically assigned depending on what else happens to be
present.  There's nothing you can see to relate the name to a physical
device.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com