Deleting a file/directory on startup

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Fri Jan 11 17:52:02 UTC 2008

Hiyas,

a package I comaintain (pm-utils) uses a lockfile. Because it may happen that
the computer crashes when the program is used, the lockfile may be there
already when no instance of pm-utils is running. Therefore the lockfile
should be deleted on startup. Do I need to write an initscript for this?
Which is imho not 100% correct, because this "service" should never be
deactivated. Is there a directory , where one could drop a file for this? The
only one I can think of would be /etc/sysconfig/modules, where ever .modules
file is executed at startup. The original feature request to split up
rc.sysinit in a rc.sysinit.d structure is more than five years old (which
would be a good solution here), so I doubt that filing a feature request will
help here. But maybe someone knows a better solution that the two I can think
of.

Regards,
Till