Policy on introducing new packages for discontinued projects?

Deepak Bhole dbhole at redhat.com
Sat Jan 12 17:49:39 UTC 2008

* Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> [2008-01-11 18:01]:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 05:12:02PM -0500, Deepak Bhole wrote:
> > Hi There,
> >
> > I'm working on updating maven2 in Fedora, and one of the dependencies
> > that it is cascading into is Jakarta Slide. This project hasn't had
> > updates for a while, and is now officially dead as stated on the main
> > page:
> >
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/index.html
> >
> > What is Fedora policy for introducing new packages for defunct projects?
> > Specially when those packages provide optional functionality...
>
> It depends on the reason why it is defunct. If it is because it works
> since a long time, such that nobody needs to take care of it, then it is
> a very good thing. If it is a package abandoned although it is not very
> stable, then if a packager wants to keep it in fedora he'll have to be
> prepared to be more or less the upstream.
>
> So this is left to the packager, but in the precise case you bring up,
> I'd suggest retiring the package
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/RetiredPackages
> especially since there is a replacement. And indeed stop using that
> functionality. If not, then be prepared to do the patching yourself.

Actually in this case, there is nothing to retire because the package
doesn't exist in Fedora. That it why I was wondering on our stance on
putting a new package in, for a known defunct project...

It seems such a decision would lie on a packager as well though, so I am
going to just avoid putting it in and work around the dependency
requirement.

Cheers,
Deepak