compilation architecture

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Sat Jan 12 18:13:40 UTC 2008

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> I've used openSUSE (i586) with the same configuration and packages
> installed and eg. Firefox 3 was started in < 1 sec. I have no benchmarks
> but everything runs faster and is more responsible.

I'm afraid you're going to have to come up with hard scientific evidence
to convince anyone. Firefox 3 startup is probably dominated by disk I/O
anyways (all those dynamic libraries it has to load). Still, It would be
a fun experiment to run. Compute the cold (i.e. just after boot) startup
time of firefox, then recompiles all of its dependencies (all the way
down to glibc) with i586, reboot, and recomputes. To be honest, I'd be
surprised if you had even one tenth of a second of difference.

-denis