compilation architecture

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek jakub.rusinek at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 19:12:24 UTC 2008

2008/1/13, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com>:

> 2008/1/12, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek <jakub.rusinek at gmail.com>:
> > do we need to support legacy cpu's by i386 compilation?
> > i586 would make fedora faster even 3 times.
> > difference is noticeable.
> >
> > --
> > Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek
> >  http://liviopl.jogger.pl/
> > --
>
> You really are making a fool of yourself around here.
> i can't imagine that the architecture has anything to do with performance.
> but this [1] will most likely explain why openSuSE is so "much" faster
> than fedora.
>
> Fedora used to use caching (preload) as well but it wasn't offering
> speed improvements on default installs. more the opposite and that why
> it's not in fedora anymore. Apparently opensuse has a
> better/custom/other preloading system than fedora had (which was
> readahead) and that's causing the speed improvements that you noticed.
>
> If you want to do a "fair" comparison of the speed than you must run
> Firefox on fedora once first (than it gets cached) and than start
> measuring the speed when you open it again. i bet it will be about
> equal to opensuse. I did this test a while ago with readahead and if
> the readahead files have the right paths than you will notice speed
> improvements in all apps that are in the readahead list.
>
> Fedora currently has no (correct me if i'm wrong) preloading/readahead
> thing started with a default install so (nearly) nothing gets pumped
> into the memory to get speed improvements. They will get there once
> they are started.
>
> So fedora isn't fast or slow. it's just working without caching
> programs that improve your performance.
>
> Perhaps it's time for fedora to look how opensuse is doing this
> preloading and investigate if that can be used in Fedora 9 (or Fedora
> 10 if 9 is feature frozen).
>
> [1] http://en.opensuse.org/SUPER_standard_benchmark
>
> --

Listen. Firefox 3 is very fast. First run always is long (every distro), but
second, third, fourth run are faster than the first - that's normal with
Firefox, but in openSUSE Firefox 3 started in less than one second on my
current hardware. On Fedora it was more than 1 second in > 1st run.

--
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek
http://liviopl.jogger.pl/