Bruttaly sluggish Eclipse performance in remote X

Magnus Gustavsson magnus.gustavsson at liu.se
Mon Jan 14 12:46:50 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Magnus Gustavsson wrote:
> > Les Mikesell <lesmikesell <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Have you tried running freenx with the NX clients from
> >> http://www.nomachine.com?
> >
> > I have now. No improvement.
>
> I'm somewhat shocked at this, since it should provide a caching layer
> for things moved on the screen in addition to compression and a proxy to
> fix network latency.  Are you sure you aren't short on RAM?

I'm sorry. A better assessment might have been "Not enough improvement".

I've measured the network traffic now, and it's been lowered to about a third
compared to standard X-forwarding. Still, it's five times higher than
RHEL4/Sarge with X-forwarding, and still too slow to be acceptable.

I guess it's time for me to open a case with Sun and/or look for alternatives to
Sun Ray. Thanks for the tip though.

/Magnus