Preloading [WAS: Re: SuSE Project SUPER]

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 20:17:07 UTC 2008

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 11:05:32PM -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:
>> Uhm, yeah you're right.  But it will help those who actually use the
>> distribution rather than toss it aside based off bad information they got
>> from someone else.  There is certainly time and place to consider user
>> first impressions, but I hardly think its a good idea to filter an idea
>> like the above by ONLY that consideration.
>
> I dunno. It seems like optimizing for startup time seems a misguided if
> that's your goal. Starting stuff is a very low percentage of actual use,
> especially with suspend/hibernate.

I'm aware its fairly low usage time, and not suggesting that any startup
optimization options be made at the cost of others (quite the opposite...).
What I was suggesting was that cached or otherwise optimized startup times are
nicer than slow ones, and it would not be wasted effort if some improvements
were made there.  I like OSX's performance in that way alot.

So I wouldn't call it misguided, just lower priority.  It sounds like you would
agree with me that no start time optimizations should have detrimental impact on
performance the rest of the time though.  I would not want startup performance
caching to be going on while I'm trying to play a game for instance.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>