Preloading [WAS: Re: SuSE Project SUPER]

Linus Walleij triad at df.lth.se
Tue Jan 15 01:45:45 UTC 2008

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, chasd wrote:

> The best-guess optimization for an end user won't be the best optimization
> for the _first_ use.

What SuSE actually do is optimize for a "generic" use case. In essence,
they preload the display managers, Firefox and OpenOffice. And they get
these program starts much more responsive as a result.

It will be pointless for users using neither program (well we all have
the display managers), of course.

(I guess I would personalize it to preload emacs and gnome-terminal but
that's just me...)

Linus