SELinux removed from desktop cd spin?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 20:19:38 UTC 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 9:03 PM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:57:56PM +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I believe that SELinux is a great linux server security hardening tool
> > but that has little use in desktop linux usage and it confuses
> > ordinary desktop users.
>
> It is of great use in a desktop spin. On my 'desktop' install for my
> laptop I have many many system daemons running under a confined domain

You, of course, will always have the ability to choose to install it
and use it.

> > If it hasn't been discussed before I would like to propose that on
> > desktop cd spin SELinux is not installed by default, of course after
> > discussion and approval from you (fedora devels).
>
> No. SELinux provides very real & important protection for desktop users.

Can you give me examples of this protection over fedora 9 without
SELInux or with SELinux in permissive mode?

I'm a desktop user and I personally don't see any benefit. It actually
prevented me in using multimedia on fedora 8 desktop (I filed a bug).
I believe it is more of a nuisance (constant alerts) for average
desktop users. Advanced users always have an option to install and use
SELinux if they need it.

Cheers,
Valent.
--