SELinux removed from desktop cd spin?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 06:53:49 UTC 2008

Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Andrew Farris wrote:
>> Douglas McClendon wrote:
>>> I sincerely hope that what I've said will cause you to think a little
>>> more before uttering "I hope everyone agrees with me that more
>>> security is always better" again.  But I welcome you to crush my
>>> hopes as I've just crushed yours.
>>
>> SELinux can and very likely will protect computer systems for
>> terrorist's use just as easily as anyone else, since it is 1) free, 2)
>> available to the entire known universe; it therefore has nothing
>> whatsoever to do with US national security in the context of your
>> 'rhetoric' and poorly argued politics.
>
> I was really talking about whether the choice to use torture to improve
> national security, without considering the other values lost in the
> decision, was a wise one to make.
>
> The parallel was whether or not the choice to *ALWAYS* use selinux to
> improve computer security, without considering the other values
> (bloat/performance degradation/user frustration), was not a wise one to
> make.
>
> But sometimes the subtlety of my logic goes over people's heads.

Oh I followed your intention, I just disagree with whether that parallel is a
fair or even logical one to make about whether selinux is *in* the official
spins as opposed to *forcing* people to enable it, which is the difference
between effecting your choice or not.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>