Rawhide update status

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Fri Jan 18 03:06:59 UTC 2008

Updated my F8 system via yum tonight (took bout 3 or so hours, sheww) to
rawhide.  The yum updates went well but it's the boot up that is the
problem as below..

1 - When running on the kernel-2.6.24-0.155.rc7.git6.fc9, the system
boots, but like the 2.6.23.13 kernels in F8, when it gets to X, there
are some squibberish lines on top of black and that's it when it gets to
gnome.  I can't control the keyboard neither.  When I was in F8 on
the .13 kernels, the .9 acted fine, but .13's wouldn't unless there was
an xorg.conf file and and then wouldn't even display the proper
resolution.  So they are both the same problem one way shape or form.
ATI x1300 card and Proview 926 (19" flat panel) monitor.

2 - Some of the icons seem to be missing in the echo-icon-theme icons.
Instead of the blue circled F there is the gnome foot.  Same thing for
File Browser icon, and xchat icon.

3 - Also, under the latest gdm, it is very primitive (think I seen
discussion on this already).  Also, I couldn't find the
Menu/System/Administration/Login Window menu to configure it.  I
downloaded to F8 latest gdm for now (haven't tested that yet).

Have to test some more but that is it so far.  When rawhide is
installable again, might do a clean install and try it out then.

Haven't bugged any of this yet in case already known.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best lil town on Earth!"