intel driver and dual screen

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Fri Jan 18 08:15:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 11:00 -0500, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:

> One things that's not very well documented is that you need to tweak you
> xorg.conf for this to work.  You need to add a Virtual line to the
> "Display" subsection in the "Screen" section of the xorg.conf file, for
> example:
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier "Screen0"
>         Device     "Videocard0"
>         DefaultDepth     24
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Viewport   0 0
>                 Depth     24
>                 Virtual   3600 1200
>         EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> The exact resolution depends on the monitors you want to use, but it has
> to be big enough to hold both side by side.  In my case, I have
> 1900x1200 and 1680x1050 monitors side by side, which gives me the
> numbers above.

I have a related issue on F9 - how do I persist the existence of my
second monitor?

I have a desktop with a dual head ATI graphics card[1], when I boot and
login the same image is shown on both monitors.  Once I have logged in I
can run the command:

	xrandr --output VGA-0 --left-of DVI-0

and that sets things up as I want them (Xinerama style).  Despite much
googling I can find no way to make this persist.  Can anyone offer any
suggestions?  I've attached my xorg.conf file in case it is relevant.

Many thanks,

Keith.

[1] $ lspci | grep ATI
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60
[Radeon X300 (PCIE)]
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Radeon X300SE]