packaging: new spec filed idea

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 19:18:11 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 19:15 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> Should I jump to the PK's mailing list, if RPM doesn't provide "Icon: " field?
>
> --
> Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek
> http://liviopl.jogger.pl/

saner icons. RPM and installed packages already provide enough info for
that. IMHO for not-yet-installed packages the Group field is enough and
it is more than likely that matching icon will already be installed
(either in the hicolor theme or the icon theme you are using). For
installed packages when it has some icon, than it most likely is
displayed in menu, and the icon name is listed its desktop file. So, go
and ask:

"Can the PackageKit use for installed packages their icons listed in
their desktop file (preferably using those provided by the selected icon
theme) and if these are not available or the application is not
installed yet, use generic icon matching the Group field of its rpm?"

First, this needs only changes to PackageKit. Secondly, this does not
need any additional resources (like some icon package with all the icons
of all the packages available in fedora). And finally it helps the user
to decide what is he trying to install/remove.

Or, if the icon is intended to be displayed only for installed packages
than it is even (a little) simpler...

Martin