network manager command-line control?

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 09:19:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 11:37 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 10:43 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > I want to make sure I'm not missing something before I file an RFE. I'd like
> > to be able to enable/disable wireless (or wired, for that matter) networking
> > from scripts. The nm-tool program seems like the logical place for this
> > functionality, but it doesn't appear to actually have it at this point.
>
> All the functionality is currently available with dbus-send.  However,
> since that's the case, it would be nice to have a CLI tool that
> interfaces in a nicer manner than dbus-send.  I'd like to have something
> like that too, but haven't had time to look into it.  It would be a
> great opportunity for somebody to jump in.

Is there a list of (important) dbus methods exported by NM?  I'm trying
to work out a way of bringing up a wireless network early in the boot
process in F8 and have been unable to even get a list of devices.

Trying to run (which looks like it's supposed to work in 0.6):
 >>> import dbus
 >>> bus = dbus.SystemBus()
 >>> iface = bus.get_object('org.freedesktop.NetworkManager', '/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager')
 >>> devs = iface.getDevices(dbus_interface='org.freedesktop.NetworkManager')
      or
 >>> devs = iface.getDevices(dbus_interface='org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Devices')

gives me:

dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod:
Method "getDevices" with signature "" on interface
"org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" doesn't exist

What am I missing?

Jonathan