revisor - is this a bug or is it me?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 20:23:35 UTC 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 10:48 AM, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, for usage I will go to them, but what about the bugs I reported
> about? Fedora unity people aren't developing revisor AFAIK, or are
> they?
Here's where we talk about what it means to be a Fedora developer,
versus just a developer.

In actually, very little is developed as part of fedora directly.
There are multiple pieces of technology where fedora contributors are
also significant upstream developers, but for most packages
fedora!=upstream.  Even when the project source code is hosted at
hosted.fedoraproject.org, its still not necessarily appropriate to
think of that project as a 'Fedora'

At the most naive level, it might be best to think of people building
pieces of Fedora infrastructure as Fedora developers, and you'd mostly
be right, since the infrastructure that Fedora project uses is in
large part motivated by internal project needs. But other people do
use those bits so they do have some upstream context that isn't
completely defined by Fedora.

Outside of that it gets much harder to define when someone is  Fedora
developer specifically. Some examples....

The kernel is important to Fedora, but are the Fedora contributors
Fedora developers...or are they kernel developers?  I'd like to think
of them as kernel developers who contribute to Fedora.. because in all
the ways that matter they are driving important enhancements into the
kernel base, so that all linux kernel users potentially benefit.
Fedora as a project helps them do that more effectively by being an
easy way for user to get access to kernel builds as part of an
integrated whole.  Can Fedora as a project change to be even an even
more effective conduit to connect kernel developers and users...
yes..now and forever.

The gnome desktop is important to Fedora, but are the gnome desktop
contributors Fedora developers... or are the gnome developers?  I'd
like to think of them as gnome desktop developers who contribute to
Fedora.. because in all the ways that matter they are driving
important enhancements into the gnome codebase so that all gnome users
potentially benefit.  Fedora as a project helps them do that more
effectively by being an easy way for user to get access to gnome
builds as part of an integrated whole. Can Fedora as a project change
to be even an even more effective conduit to connect gnome developers
and users... yes..now and forever.

Similarly, revisor is its own upstream project with its own
developers.  We as a project are lucky enough to count some if not all
of the developers of the tool  as Fedora contributors. And hopefully
the revisor developers see Fedora as a project an effective conduit to
get users, using their bits.  Can Fedora as a project change to be
even an even more effective conduit to connect revisor developers and
users... yes..now and forever.

-jef"Holy crap its above freezing here!  I love global warming!"spaleta