long term support release

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 03:42:02 UTC 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 10:16 PM, David Mansfield <fedora at dm.cobite.com> wrote:
> I'm fairly new to this list so if this is flame-bait, then I apologize.
> I was wondering whether there is any possibility of having the
> occasional 'long term support' (LTS) release of Fedora (say one every
> two years or something) so that users can settle down with the distro
> and actually become productive with it.
>
> Say the LTS cycle is one release every two years (every fourth Fedora
> release), and that the 'long term' for support only lasts for two years
> (which is pretty short to use the term long for, I realize), then there
> would only be one LTS release, and also the most current release to
> worry about at any given time.
>
> If there is simply not enough teampower to do this, then that's
> understood.

Just like every other Fedora related project, teampower is always an
issue.  That alone could shoot down the idea.  RHEL and CentOS are
certainly there if you do need something more stable, with I think
nearly 7 years support per release.  I'm not sure how Fedora and its
Community would benefit from a direct Fedora LTS release.  That "Other
Well Known Distro Maker" releases their LTS product with a similar
target audience that RHEL and CentOS serves.  The people that use
Fedora directly enjoy having a rapidly developing distro with the
latest features every six months, with just some semblance of
crash-proofness.  With EPEL, you can even enjoy the variety and
quantity of Fedora packages, built for RHEL/CentOS.

If you have a slightly different goal in mind, then let's hear it :).
If it's reasonable, you might want to consider a SIG (Special Interest
Group) of people who are willing to contribute said manpower.  There
will be a vote on the SIG, so if you have a great idea you want to
contribute, that's your best shot to sell it to us.

-Yaakov