long term support release

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Wed Jan 23 03:57:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, David Mansfield wrote:

> I'm fairly new to this list so if this is flame-bait, then I apologize.
> I was wondering whether there is any possibility of having the
> occasional 'long term support' (LTS) release of Fedora (say one every
> two years or something) so that users can settle down with the distro
> and actually become productive with it.
>
> Say the LTS cycle is one release every two years (every fourth Fedora
> release), and that the 'long term' for support only lasts for two years
> (which is pretty short to use the term long for, I realize), then there
> would only be one LTS release, and also the most current release to
> worry about at any given time.
>
> If there is simply not enough teampower to do this, then that's
> understood.

The best way to do this, I think, is similar to what was tried before with
Fedora Legacy (google knows what that is).  The problem is there weren't
enough people to do the work.  The long term support work is far more
difficult then it initially sounds.  Our engineers are more focused on
implementing new features, etc.  Needless to say there is something to be
said for longer support for Fedora, its just a matter of getting the
critical mass of people to do it.

	-Mike