long term support release

David Mansfield fedora at dm.cobite.com
Wed Jan 23 03:59:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 22:42 -0500, Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2008 10:16 PM, David Mansfield <fedora at dm.cobite.com> wrote:
> > I'm fairly new to this list so if this is flame-bait, then I apologize.
> > I was wondering whether there is any possibility of having the
> > occasional 'long term support' (LTS) release of Fedora (say one every
> > two years or something) so that users can settle down with the distro
> > and actually become productive with it.
> >
> > Say the LTS cycle is one release every two years (every fourth Fedora
> > release), and that the 'long term' for support only lasts for two years
> > (which is pretty short to use the term long for, I realize), then there
> > would only be one LTS release, and also the most current release to
> > worry about at any given time.
> >
> > If there is simply not enough teampower to do this, then that's
> > understood.
>
> Just like every other Fedora related project, teampower is always an
> issue.  That alone could shoot down the idea.  RHEL and CentOS are
> certainly there if you do need something more stable, with I think
> nearly 7 years support per release.  I'm not sure how Fedora and its
> Community would benefit from a direct Fedora LTS release.  That "Other
> Well Known Distro Maker" releases their LTS product with a similar
> target audience that RHEL and CentOS serves.  The people that use

You're not suggesting I use the 'Other Well Known Distro' are you?
Seriously, though, on my latest laptop I tried CentOS 5, and it was
awful on a laptop.  Synaptic problems, networkmanager problems, crappy
wireless support (out of date) etc.  I killed it in about a week.  I
also tried the Other distro and as a Fedora (and Red Hat Linux before
that) guy, it just doesn't do it for me.  Old dog, new tricks.  It
lasted about a month. That said, updating every 6 months doesn't do it
for me either.  What's a Fedora lover to do?

David