SELinux removed from desktop cd spin?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 05:13:59 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>>> No.
>>
>> There has to be one somewhere, but the point is that we can't possibly
>> know if they would try something stupid or not - and I usually guess
>> the worst.
>
> It's not merely a question of belief. The long standing best defense
> against trojan horses are open implementations which PGP or SELinux is.
> If there is a risk, the risk is definitely higher for proprietary software.

But the NSA would be at least as capable of introducing a hack that you
could examine but not see as Ken Thompson:
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Reflections%20On%20Trusting%20Trust
I'd expect them to even be able to conspire with the CPU vendors to have
certain undocumented opcode sequences do magical things.

I don't see any reason to trust proprietary software either.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com