long term support release

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 06:24:54 UTC 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 9:12 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> I worked out the numbers for doing that at one time.. and it wasn't
> pretty... especially when people want all of Fedora to be supported
> for 2 years. The best price I came to was 2x what Red Hat charges for
> an RHEL license to cover basic costs.. if a company wanted to actually
> stay in business it was a lot more... especially when you would need
> to make sure you had at least 200 paying customers. Cutting down the
> supported packages basically brought it down to a much smaller segment
> than what is in RHEL before you could get what most fedora users would
> consider reasonable (say 50/year).

There's a lesson here. Did you do the same calculation assuming you
incorporated your company on the Isle of Man for tax benefit purposes
to see if the numbers became profittable? What if you started off with
a multi-million dollar venture capital injection and had 10 years to
get to profitability?

-jef