long term support release

Laith Juwaidah ljuwaida at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 23 13:15:50 UTC 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 7:16 AM, David Mansfield <fedora at dm.cobite.com> wrote:

> I'm fairly new to this list so if this is flame-bait, then I apologize.
> I was wondering whether there is any possibility of having the
> occasional 'long term support' (LTS) release of Fedora (say one every
> two years or something) so that users can settle down with the distro
> and actually become productive with it.
>
> Say the LTS cycle is one release every two years (every fourth Fedora
> release), and that the 'long term' for support only lasts for two years
> (which is pretty short to use the term long for, I realize), then there
> would only be one LTS release, and also the most current release to
> worry about at any given time.
>
> If there is simply not enough teampower to do this, then that's
> understood.
>
> Thanks,
> David
>

> --

IMVHO:

The word Enterprise in RHEL makes it less appealing for home users, I
wouldn't use it, for no reason other than it has the word Enterprise in
it... To be fair, my first distro was SLED.

Why do we have to look for other business partners when we have RH? RH could
release a "filtered" version of Fedora and call it RHHL (Red Hat Home
Linux).

By filtered here I mean carefully selected versions of the packages, for
example, though KDE 4.0.0 is released, RHHL should ship with KDE
3.5.8instead since it is still not complete, in other words, it
doesn't have to
be so cutting edge, yet, not so outdated.

For the support, they can hire people to do that, these people can try to
fix users' problems themselves, ask the package maintainers, or simply
report bugs...

Finance wise, the license should be much cheaper, since it is targeted at
home users and not enterprises.

I just want to say that I wouldn't use that, simply because I don't really
care if I have support or not, I can fix my system from the command prompt,
but normal users don't want to learn the "geeky stuff".

That is one reason why many of the people don't want to even give Linux a
shot: What if I have a problem? Who will help me with it? When I say the
community does, I usually get an answer like "It's not always available",
"What if they can't help me?", "What if I don't get any answer? They don't
have to help me anyways", or simply "If my computer is broken I can't use it
to access IRC" :-|

That's all I have to say
--
Laith Juwaidah