F8 to rawhide upgrade - yum python mismatch - repeatable

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 23 14:02:30 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> David Timms wrote:
>>    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/_sqlitecache.so: undefined symbol:
>> g_assertion_message_expr

> Yes, python-urlgrabber should have been upgraded to fc9
I don't have the .fc9 one at the moment, however:
rpm -q --requires yum
/usr/bin/python
config(yum) = 3.2.8-2.fc9
python >= 2.4
python(abi) = 2.5
python-iniparse
python-sqlite
rpm >= 0:4.4.2
rpm-python
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(PartialHardlinkSets) <= 4.0.4-1
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
urlgrabber
yum-metadata-parser >= 1.1.0

* note no version of urlgrabber mentioned so any should do.

[davidt at localhost ~]$ rpm -q --whatprovides urlgrabber
python-urlgrabber-3.0.0-3.fc8
* I have one installed.

> as should the other python rpms.
python and python-libs are part of python itself. The others are
independent developments, with their own versions.

>  It looks like there could be a requires missing to
> get those to move up to the fc9 version.
I might be getting this wrong; the requires is trying to guarantee the
packages work with each other, by requiring stuff provided by other
packages, and specifying versions, if a specific version is required. I
don't think it is necessary to have all packages with .fc9. for things
to work normally. In any case, a later yum update would notice the
things that have updates, and update them.

> Did you see anything about that when updating python?
no.

> Do you have the yumskipbroken plugin when doing that upgrade?
no. yum-skip-broken is not installed.

DaveT.