long term support release

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Wed Jan 23 16:53:50 UTC 2008

Pekka Pietikainen <pp at ee.oulu.fi> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 10:52:19AM -0500, Eric Paris wrote:
> > Limited?  5.2 basically has the latest upstream wireless stack. I think
> > e1000 was bumped to latest upstream, and I know IPSec support was almost
> > completely rereved.  I know some of the block device drives had gigantic
>
> > very slow) enables lots of hardware every release.  Admittedly you need
> > a lot of patience waiting for updates if you have the fedora speed
> > mindset....

> A nice thing would be to have a public yum repo for these as they happen
> and not after they've gone through the full QA/release process
> (I know they're sometimes on people.redhat.com).

That would mean keeping "RHEL stable" + "RHEL + Fedora updates that make
sense"; twice (or thereabouts) the work, no gain. Won't happen.

> Could also just be something based on Fedora kernels. Just the kernel +
> userspace that's absolutely required for the new kernel to work no matter
> what kernel config options you enable/disable (hopefully close to zero). If
> you need it, you enable it. If you don't, then stick with the base EL
> kernels.

Ditto.

> You'd lose "Enterprise" stability, sure.

But that is exactly /the/ selling point of RHEL... the old Red Hat model
didn't work too well because the result wasn't stable enough.

>                                          But at least you'd only be
> forced to reinstall when the userspace starts feeling obsolete, not in
> 6-12 months _always_ like Fedora. And WAY less effort required than trying to
> do something that's between EL and Fedora.

If you want it, pay for it. I.e., join the "Fedora LTS SIG" that was
proposed here, and work to make it happen. You will see it is /much/ harder
to do than it looks, and thankless work to boot. It is easier just to
upgrade from time to time.