Replacing the boot kernel in the installer

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Jan 24 00:43:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 02:30:56PM -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:
> Bill Crawford wrote:
>> On 23/01/2008, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The best way around it is to use rescue.iso instead.  Since rescue.iso
>>> has stage2 on it, you can point it at any repo to do the install, like
>>> your original F8 repo.
>>
>> Sounds good. I can't find a rescue.iso under development at the
>> moment, though, so I'm going with (in order) trying to use rawhide
>> vmlinuz + initrd.img (replacing .buildstamp with the one from F8); and
>> if that doesn't work, actually replacing the F8 install kernel with
>> the rawhide installer kernel and ditto the modules in the initrd ...
>>

> Rescue isos for rawhide that Jesse posted to install from the F8 repo.
>
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/rel-eng/trees/

I'd be *VERY* careful with those images due to this bug:

Bugzilla Bug 429782: "extents" flag appeared on ext3 filesystem, can't mount filesystem

You don't want to accidentally mess up your ext3 filesystems and make
them very hard to recover.