InstantMirror needs a rethink

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Thu Jan 24 01:28:55 UTC 2008

Warren Togami wrote:
> Douglas McClendon wrote:
>>
>> When I was playing around with squid, what seemed to bite me was that
>> I couldn't do an http kickstart install, because I didn't see any way
>> to get anaconda to use an http proxy configuration.  I asked on either
>> the anaconda or kickstart list, and never got an answer.  I'm just
>> wondering if anaconda could easily (does it already?) input an http
>> proxy config to use, that would solve my needs just using the simplest
>> squid config.
>>
>> -dmc
>>

> You are thinking squid proxy server.  I am talking reverse proxy or
> "accelerator" mode.  Read up. =)

I thought I was being clear, I guess you didn't understand me.  I
understand the difference.  My point was that perhaps a big part of your
problem space disappears if a squid proxy server can solve that portion
of the problem space.

I understand the desire to make the mirror server require even less
configuration on the client.  But for my problem, adding the proxy
config required for a non-reverse squid proxy was not a big impact.

-dmc