Help with packaging igraph (stuck on debuginfo)

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 03:25:15 UTC 2008

> I put together a package for igraph-0.4.5 and python bindings.
> Unfortunately, the upstream is a bit messed up.  The python package is
> called exactly the same name (the original C is called ipython-0.4.5 and so
> is the python package).
>
> The upstream python package included it's own copy of the c code.  I fixed
> that problem so the python package would use the installed ipython c devel
> package.

I'm guessing that the messed-up upstream is not quite as messed up as this
description, and that actually everything is called "igraph-0.4.5" and
nothing is called "ipython".

> Only 1 little problem.
>
> I renamed the python source to python-igraph-{version}.tar.gz.  I did:
>
> %setup -q -n igraph-%{version}
>
> Now it builds fine, but:
> sudo rpm -U ~/RPM/RPMS/x86_64/python-igraph-*
>         file /usr/src/debug/igraph-0.4.5/src/error.c from install of
> python-igraph-debuginfo-0.4.5-1.fc8.x86_64 conflicts with file from package

The fact that this file exists in python-igraph-debuginfo suggests that you
did not really manage to get rid of the included copy of the C code.  If it
didn't compile its own copy, wouldn't it only refer to the C headers
installed by the igraph-devel package and not have any of its own?

> igraph-debuginfo-0.4.5-1.fc8.x86_64
>         file /usr/src/debug/igraph-0.4.5/src/error.h from install of
> python-igraph-debuginfo-0.4.5-1.fc8.x86_64 conflicts with file from package
> igraph-debuginfo-0.4.5-1.fc8.x86_64
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?

It is an issue with the debuginfo-generation setup that /usr/src/debug/FOO
is used by all packages that unpacked their sources into %{_builddir}/FOO.
But that is a complex can of worms I'd rather not get into just now.  In
your case it seems that this limitation has probably actually been a boon
in catching for you something you didn't intend to be trying.

Thanks,
Roland