Help with packaging igraph (stuck on debuginfo)

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 11:12:00 UTC 2008

Roland McGrath wrote:

>> I put together a package for igraph-0.4.5 and python bindings.
>> Unfortunately, the upstream is a bit messed up.  The python package is
>> called exactly the same name (the original C is called ipython-0.4.5 and
>> so is the python package).
>>
>> The upstream python package included it's own copy of the c code.  I
>> fixed that problem so the python package would use the installed ipython
>> c devel package.
>
> I'm guessing that the messed-up upstream is not quite as messed up as this
> description, and that actually everything is called "igraph-0.4.5" and
> nothing is called "ipython".

Sorry, s/ipython/igraph

>> Only 1 little problem.
>>
>> I renamed the python source to python-igraph-{version}.tar.gz.  I did:
>>
>> %setup -q -n igraph-%{version}
>>
>> Now it builds fine, but:
>> sudo rpm -U ~/RPM/RPMS/x86_64/python-igraph-*
>>         file /usr/src/debug/igraph-0.4.5/src/error.c from install of
>> python-igraph-debuginfo-0.4.5-1.fc8.x86_64 conflicts with file from
>> package
>
> The fact that this file exists in python-igraph-debuginfo suggests that
> you
> did not really manage to get rid of the included copy of the C code.  If
> it didn't compile its own copy, wouldn't it only refer to the C headers
> installed by the igraph-devel package and not have any of its own?
>
>> igraph-debuginfo-0.4.5-1.fc8.x86_64
>>         file /usr/src/debug/igraph-0.4.5/src/error.h from install of
>> python-igraph-debuginfo-0.4.5-1.fc8.x86_64 conflicts with file from
>> package igraph-debuginfo-0.4.5-1.fc8.x86_64
>>
>> Any ideas how to fix this?
No, I _did_ get rid of included copy.  The problem is, python-igraph has
re-used the same path name.  Both have a igraph-%{version}/src/error.c, but
they are _different_ files.

I think there are 2 options, but I don't know how to implement either one:
1) Build into python-igraph instead of igraph.
2) Find some way to fix debuginfo

The other possibility:
3) Disable debuginfo (not very desirable)

Any thoughts?