Yum, Proxy Cache Safety, Storage Backend

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Thu Jan 24 15:33:29 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 23:45 -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:28:01 -0600, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Warren Togami wrote:
> >
> >> Yum and Proxy Caches: Current Dangers
> >> =====================================
> >> Users may be using proxy servers in 3 (or more) ways:
> >
> > Is there a reasonable way to make yum automatically use files cached in
> > these local proxies when run by multiple users that share the proxy but
> > don't know about each other?  Picking some random mirror for each will
> > defeat the caching since they will have different URLs to get the same
> > file.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring/SiteLocalMirrors
> This page needs updating, but it sort of describes what you need to do.
> Use your Fedora account to login to MirrorManager and add a private mirror
> for yourself along with a site-local netblock in CIDR notation so the
> mirror master knows to serve to you when yum clients come from your
> network.  After a few hours, mirror lists will serve your mirror first,
> then random other mirrors in your country/region.
>
> Example, I have InstantMirror running on my Buffalo Linkstation (hard drive
> + ethernet running embedded Linux) at home.  I gave that box a private IP
> address and pointed a sub-domain name at that (so I could use Apache
> name-based VirtualHost for InstantMirror).  I then added to MirrorManager
> "Warren's Private Home Mirror" which only I can see when I login to the
> management interface.  In both cases it is REALLY handy when all of your
> local clients automatically begin using your local mirror.
>
> Oh, there might be one more complication.  You may need to checkout the
> sources for MirrorManager and run the script that reports to MirrorManager
> that your mirror is populated.  I think mdomsch mentioned that the checkbox
> on the MirrorManager interface isn't yet working.  Matt, what's the status
> of this?
>
> Hopefully that last wrinkle should be gone soon.
>
> Warren Togami
> wtogami at redhat.com

Slightly off topic but, could you elaborate on the MirrorManager setup
for this? I've got a local mirror at home and would like to set up
automatic usage from my local hosts on my private NATed network. Did you
set up a single host netblock for your public ip address? I have cable
internet and my public ip stays the same for several months at a time
but it does change. Is there any way to have a more dynamic set up, like
a netblock on a domain name so I only have to change my DNS and
mirrormanager picks that up?

Thanks,

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |