long term support release

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jan 25 05:58:16 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 14:55 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 19:35 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > Further: IMO, fedora legacy did not fail. It was discontinued by
> > management, because it collided the certain business interests.
>

> Ralf,
>  I know there's no way to convince you of this,
No there isn't.

This thread added further to this. It once again made it clear that many
parties being involved into Fedora aren't willing in implementing a
Fedora LTS or simply extending the lifetime of Fedora for various
reasons - We will see if Ubuntu LTS will be a success. I would assume it
to further contribute to Fedora loosing ground.

>  however, this isn't at
> all what happened. Legacy just died.
As I see it, it died, because people wanted to let it to die for various
different individual motivations.

> It wasn't decided or dictated by
> anyone other than the reality that nothing had happened for months.
Yes, but not because the "product sucked", the project was poorly
implemented and poorly lead.

Anyway, meanwhile, things in Fedora-land have changed.

What prevents Fedora from launching a "Fedora LTS" as part of Fedora,
using the Fedora infrastructure, e.g. by simply imply declaring "Fedora
7" life time's extended for, say 2 years, when FC9 comes out?

The price would be fairly small. In particular, the infrastructure
already is in place. All what would have to be implemented would be some
regulations/conventions concerning "ABI/APIs" and ACLs.

After these 2 years, you'd have the results of a fair comparison to
"Fedora". If it goes down the drain, so be it ...

> No one wanted to take on the rather large effort to keep it going. It
> stopped. There was no management who discontinued it.
May-be there had not been an explicit RH management decision on letting
it die. But there also had been no will to support it.

However, I recall FESCO (or had it been FAB?) having decided on FC's
short life-time and to support EPEL. Both decisions have been severe
mistakes, IMO.

Ralf