Tools to examine build logs?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Fri Jan 25 10:51:03 UTC 2008

What do you use to search build logs for the various warnings printed by
"configure", the compiler and other tools?

For a long time I've used the following simple shell function for building
from source rpms and automatically collecting the output in log files:

function rpmb {
    name=$(rpm -qp --qf %{name} $1)
    ver=$(rpm -q --whatprovides redhat-release --qf %{version})
    logname=build.$name.$ver.log
    echo "Build for:" $(cat /etc/redhat-release) | tee -a $logname
    rpmbuild --rebuild $1 2>&1 | tee -a $logname
    #rpmblstrip.pl $logname > $logname.stripped
}

The last line tried to grep various warnings plus a few things like
"yes/no" feature status output from configure scripts, saving the time
needed to skim over build logs. I messed it up when adding to it commands
to watch for PIC builds and no-%optflags builds. That's why it is disabled.

So, what do you use to examine build logs from mock or plain rpmbuild?
Do you always display the complete logs?