long term support release

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Fri Jan 25 13:07:15 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:26:49AM -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On Jan 25, 2008 12:08 AM, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
> > > Unless I am wrong new builds aren't allowed for EOL releases. And I also
> > > guess that at some point mirrors are shut down. Not doing those 2 things
> > > would really allow for a fedora LTS.
> >
> > Until someone comes up with a sound plan for an LTS deliverable that
> > communicates expectations on quality, I don't see a reason to just
> > open up the trees for random people to update random packages whenever
> > they want to.
>
> Random packages, maybe, but not random people, please.

The "non-random" people are in short supply...

> And there should not be any quality expectation just like for fedora
> itself.

What is the point then? "Come, run FLTS, a slowly rotting heap of bits kept
on long-term (on and off) life support just because" doesn't sound too
inviting...

Besides, Fedora users /have/ quality expectations. Perhaps somewhat lower
than RHEL; and aiming in a different direction, so they are different just
by that.