long term support release

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 13:56:48 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2008 11:38 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
>> Also, wouldn't you consider the fact Ubuntu launches "Ubuntu LTS" to be
>> evidence enough that others see a market nice?
>
> I'm pretty sure that Ubuntu LTS is something that Canonical as a
> business entity as chosen to launch and leverages as part of its
> business model and is not in point of fact relying primarily on
> community manpower to make the LTS offering actually work.  Find me a
> business entity who would like to do something similar in Fedora space
> and I'll gladly talk to them about making room in the project.

How about a slight variation on the fedora LTS plan that might vastly
reduce the needed work and let people keep running without the dangers
of going without security fixes?  What if the versions supported were
the ones used as the base of the RHEL cuts, and the subsequent updates
were recompiled from the CentOS source RPM's?  There's a certain amount
of incest or irony there, depending on how you look at it, but isn't
re-using work what free software is supposed to be all about?

In some cases you might need to re-enable some features removed in RHEL
(as CentosPlus does with the kernel) but the changes should all be
pretty obvious to someone with both source packages.  And it would be
nice if additional feature-enabled packages made it into the Centosplus
repo in the cases where a fedora packager wanted to maintain them.

I could see why RH might oppose this for business reasons - but if
that's the case they should just say so.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com