long term support release

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jan 25 16:04:35 UTC 2008

> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:47:49 +0100
> Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
>
> > > If an "LTS" release doesn't guarantee stability and timely security
> > > updates, it shouldn't be called LTS.  Maybe "Extended Support" or
> > > "More Volunteer Updates".  But not LTS...
> >
> > The name is not the issue, as long as it is understood that it is a
> > volunteer based project. It isn't in the fedora name, but fedora is a
> > volunteer based project.
>
> What earthly reason would you have to run some old code set, with not
> even close to guaranteed updates, let alone timely ones, with little
> man power behind it, and the opportunity to be ignored by most package
> owners?

Because that's still better and more effective than getting lost in the
Fedora upgrade maelstrom and getting lost in the bureaucracy Fedora
suffers from and better than continuing to use a completely discontinued
distro.

> And why aren't those reasons satisfied with RHEL/CentOS which doesn't
> have these problems?
For me, CentOS is an ultra conservative, stagnating distro not meeting
my demands. It may-be suitable for those who want to set up a server and
run it with minimal support for the next 4 years - To me it's non
interesting.

Ralf